Sunday 30 August 2020

My friend Peter

As anyone from the parishes where I have served will know, I love St Peter. He jumps out of the pages of the New Testament and sort of grabs me.  So whenever he is in the Sunday gospel I can never resist talking about him, and especially about his humanity. 

So this evening I went on the internet to try and find an image that would capture this.  There are loads of paintings of him denying Our Lord, walking on water etc. But in all of them he looks so serious. I'm sure a fisherman from Galilee would have enjoyed a good laugh too, so I was very happy when I found this depiction of him. Here he is, human, approachable, full of faith and love - and smiling a great big smile. I've only ever seen one picture of Jesus himself laughing, so I'm glad I found this one of Peter too.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment