Saturday 24 April 2021

S & G : 'Late In the Evening'

At the risk of overdoing the Simon & Garfunkel bit - one last song from the Concert in Central Park. And it's one that is not so familiar as the others I've put on here like Bridge Over and Sounds of Silence. But I love this performance for its liveliness, the communication between S & G (especially as they were not getting on very well) and between them and the crowd.   Don't miss the great brass section and crazy drummer, Steve Gadd, who creates the distinctive background rhythm by holding two drumsticks in each hand - you can just catch it as the camera zooms in on him a few times.

Most of all, I love the sight of half a milllion people, mostly young(ish), dancing and just enjoying themselves in the park. So, turn it up loud, and enjoy - words below.

First thing I remember I was lying in my bed
Couldn't've been no more than one or two
And I remember there's a radio comin' from the room next door
And my mother laughed the way some ladies do
     When it's late in the evening and the music's seeping through
 
The next thing I remember I am walking down the street
I'm feeling all right I'm with my boys I'm with my troops,
And down along the avenue some guys were shootin' pool
And I heard the sound of a cappella groups, singing late in the evening
And all the girls out on the stoops, yeah
 
Then I learned to play some lead guitar I was underage in this funky bar
And I stepped outside to smoke myself a "J"
And when I came back to the room and everybody just seemed to move
And I turned my amp up loud and began to play
    And it was late in the evening and I blew that room away
 
First thing I remember when you came into my life
I said, "I'm gonna get that girl no matter what I do"
Well, I guess I'd been in love before and once or twice I'd been on the floor
But I never loved no one the way I loved you
    And it was late in the evening and all the music seeping through

No comments:

Post a Comment