Wednesday 5 May 2021

Line of Duty


I started watching "Line of Duty" in about series 3 or 4, and went back to binge watch the previous ones. Since then, I've been a fan. 

Now you might be expecting me to say "What a disappointment" after Sunday's final episode of the latest series - and I have to admit that this was my first reaction. But after a few more days and reading one or two things, I'm coming to the conclusion that it was better than I originally thought. True, the revealing of Buckells as 'H' seemed disappointing or even far-fetched, but is there  a little more to 'Line of Duty' than meets the eye?

One of my favourite words or sayings (ask any parishioner who has to sit through many homilies) is that life is messy. So having the likes of Buckells promoted in his lack of ability, having Hastings labouring under his (Catholic and just) guilt. may not fit into the normal run of TV dramas, but perhaps it does reflect life in its variety and messiness. We all know of people promoted above their abilities,  and we all know that there are still many in our world with a solid and uncompromising conscience.

So now I don't feel that the series left a bland or boring taste after the finale. Maybe just a taste of reality that some may feel was a little too real...   

No comments:

Post a Comment