Sunday 6 June 2021

Corpus Christi - Come, be with Me

 

I celebrated Mass this morning for the Feast of Corpus Christi at Christ the KIng Church.  There has been a noticeable increase in numbers these last few weeks of warmer weather and perhaps  more optimistic outlook generally. I preached about how the Mass, like all of us as individuals, families and countries, has its own history. The Mass, too, has been forced to experience differences and difficulties over these months. But the Mass goes on, and has done so in continuity, despite persecution, martyrdom and pandemic, since that Upper Room in Jerusalem so long ago.

Some lovely music had been chosen to accompany Mass, and I was particularly taken with the piece played at Holy Commmunion, "Come Be With Me". Having been here quite some years now, I know at least some of the story of most of those who were present, and I felt a great solidarity and warmth among us all at that point in our Mass. I watched as parishioners slowly made their way forward to the minister, young Ben, to receive Jesus, accepting his invitation to come. We each brought our burden, great or small. This was Communion, not ony with the Lord, but truly with and for one another.

"Come be with me, all you who carry heavy burdens, I will give you rest."

No comments:

Post a Comment