Tuesday 12 March 2013

Shots in the dark

I've just been watching the beginning of the Conclave to elect a new Pope in the Sistine Chapel. When I switched on, the Cardinals were just taking their oath of secrecy, and so you were able to see each of them approach the Bible, one by one. 

A few folks have asked if I have any hot tips. No!  I tell you what, some of the names being mentioned looked pretty severe to me. Anyway, just to throw out a few, keep an eye open for Cardinal Tagle, Archbishop of Manila in the Philippines (left). 
An American Pope has always been discounted in the past. This time Cardinal Dolan of New York was being mentioned, but seems to have been overtaken by Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston. I've always been aware of him, not least because he keeps a very interesting blog. Admittedly, it's mostly about him - but I like its tone. You can find it here.
Of the Italians, Cardinal Ravasi has just given the Lenten reflections in the Vatican, and went down well. He manged to mention St Thomas Aquinas and Amy Winehouse in the same talk, which can't be bad (above right).

No comments:

Post a Comment