Sunday 18 July 2021

Our young people

I was talking about young people in Mass today, and several people said they really appreciated it.  I put it in the context of a shepherd reporting about the flock, as in today's readings.

I started on Monday with a Zoom marriage preparation for a lovely couple living in London, but where the bride-to-be comes from Christ the King and is known well here. So I was in my office and they were in their respective flats. And they were great - great young people, switched on to life and faith. I'm really looking forward to their wedding in a month's time.

Next on Tuesday Andy and I celebrated a funeral, with the deceased mum beng remembered by husband and family. Family life, good example, passing it on...

Thursday evening and Saturday morning I confirmed twenty of our young 12 and 13 year olds. Their whole preparation programme has been via Zoom with three catechists and myself. They have been, and I'm sure will be, fantastic, again very switched on... We will meet again with them in September to talk about where they go from here.

In between the two Confirmation Masses, on Friday, was our first weding for two years.  Another lovely couple, this time both former pupils of Corpus Christi, our Catholic high school. Loads of other past pupils there. Great.

 Then tomorrow we drop a year to the school leavers of Year 6 in Christ the King Primary, with their Leavers' Mass.  I've been missing Mass with kids for too long during the Covod stuff. They have something very special, to do with chidren's spontaneity, directness, and, yes, innocence and simplicity. Again, I'm really looking forward to tomorow.

 

So - children, young people, couples - family life, parish life, school life.  We can get fearful about the future based on the present, but how well do we now the real situation?  I've been so impressed by these diffferent age groups this week.  And so my faith in the future is strengthened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment