Saturday 5 November 2022

Separation (2)

Separation isn't only at death.  We have to handle all sorts of separation in life too, don't we, and I suppose those that happen in relationships, friendships, love, are the hardest. We all have to work hard sometimes to keep relationships going, to stop them growing stale, but, of course, there are times when they have just run their course. When it's at its worst, I catch a glimpse on occasion of the suffering that can follow in my work with people from broken marriages

There are many poems and songs about such events in life, but not many capture the raw emotion that can be involved as openly as Irish singer Sinead O'Connor's song and video from 1990 "Nothing Compares To You".  The song was written by American Prince, but her version became better known than the original. The video must be one of the most dramatic and best-known ever produced for a song. Sinead O'Connor went on to have a complicated life but continues to produce music.  But I don't think she ever matched this classic outpouring. Watch out for the real tears in the last chorus.

 

It's been seven hours and 15 daysSince you took your love awayI go out every night and sleep all daySince you took your love awaySince you been gone, I can do whatever I wantI can see whomever I choose
I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurantBut nothing I said nothing can take away these blues'Cause nothing compares,  nothing compares to you
 
It's been so lonely without you hereLike a bird without a songNothing can stop these lonely tears from fallingTell me baby, where did I go wrong?I could put my arms around every boy I seeBut they'd only remind me of you
I went to the doctor, guess what he told meGuess what he told meHe said, "Girl you better try to have fun, no matter what you do"But he's a fool
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares to you
 
All the flowers that you planted mamaIn the back yardAll died when you went awayI know that living with you baby was sometimes hardBut I'm willing to give it another try
Nothing compares,   nothing compares to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment