Saturday 30 January 2021

Local news

 

And now for some local posts...

First one of our local icons, to use that over-used word - the Scott Memorial lighthouse in Roath Park Lake. It's had an overhaul, partly funded by local resident Mike Temple. 

Erected in memory of Captain Scott who sailed out of Cardiff, this is one of my earliest memories on walks "down the Lake". We're so blessed to have Roath Park on our doorstep. I always thought all towns had such lovely places in them - but sadly not...  Never take Roath Park and its lake for granted

 Looking good!

 

Next, and not far away from the Scott memorial, the shops "on Lakeside" ie in Clearwater Way. These have been there since the Lakeside housing was built (in the 60s?). A few hours have been passed by Fr M in the Disc(overy) opposite the shops, especially in my student days.  Now it seems the shops are going to be redeveloped. They do look a bit tired at the moment, though a lot of work was done not long ago on Tesco at the top end.  The branch of Waterloo Tea at the other end is popular too. From the pictures it looks like it will go from 2 storeys to four if you look closely...

Lastly, one of Fr M's highly sought after recommendations - and it goes to Fintans Fish & Chip Co, specifically to the Llanishen branch (coz I haven't sampled the others in Whitchurch etc). Basically all I have to say is  - yummy!  Once a week Fr A and I usually get something in and I must say Fintans never fails.  To be fair I haven't wandered far from cod n chips on the menu, but why would you when the food and the service are so good!  As I say - yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment