Wednesday 3 February 2021

Another favourite - Darius Rucker

Time for some more music from my favourites.  Back in 1994 a band emerged in America called Hootie and the Blowfish (I know, what kind of name is that).  Leader was Darius Rucker, who is black when the rest of the band were white - unusual combination, and also unusual was the kind of country sound with a black singer. Anyway the album - and the band - were huge in the US though not so big here in the UK, and have never been far off my listening list. 

Seems they went their own way for a few years in more recent times, and here is Darius in 2010 singing one of the best known songs from the album 'Let Her Cry', in a more aoustic version. I love his voice, gritty but also a finely tuned instrument I think as this performance shows. 

I'll include the words as I did recently for Hotel California, because they manage to be moving yet mysterious at the same time, open to different interpretations, but basically about handling messes in relationships.

           

         She sits alone by a lamp post Tryin' to find the thought that's escaped her mind

She says, "Dad's the one I love the most   But Michael Stipe's not far behind"
She never lets me in, only tells me where she's been
When she's had too much to drink
I say that I don't care, I just run my hands through her dark hair
Then I pray to God you gotta help me fly away
He said: Let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
Let her sing if it eases all her pain
Let her go, let her walk right out on me
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be, let her be
This morning I woke up alone, found a note standing by the phone
Sayin', "Maybe, maybe I'll be back someday"
Like a fool I wanted to look for you  You walked in, I didn't know just what I should do
So I sat back down and had a beer and felt sorry for myself
Sayin' let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
Let her sing if it eases all her pain
Let her go, let her walk right out on me
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be, let her be
Last night I tried to leave, she cried so much I could not believe
She was the same girl I fell in love with long ago
She went in the back to get high  I sat down on my couch and started to cry
for my momma, I said "Oh, mama, please help me
Won't you hold my hand, get me outta here", and
She said:  Boy let her cry if the tears fall down like rain
Let her sing if it eases all her pain
Let her go, I walked out on her,
And if the sun comes up tomorrow, let her be

No comments:

Post a Comment