Tuesday 9 March 2021

Celtic roots and branches

Every so often I revisit some part or another of my vast family tree, to see if anything or anyone new has appeared on the scene. And so it was that I discovered Denny in Ohio, who is, I think, my fifth cousin - yes, fifth cousin. We share ancestors down in Carmarthenshire where my direct line of Joneses comes from. My great-great-great- grandmother and his were sisters all those years ago. It turns out he has visited Wales and even emailed me a picture of him in front of a CARDIFF sign on a station platform here. 

Although I suppose I'm an old hand at genealogy now, it's still fun to encounter connections like this. From not knowing about any American family twenty years ago, I'm now aware of and/or been in touch with folks in New Jersey, Ohio, Utah. Arizona and California. Sounds like an interesting holiday route! 

If I can help with your family history, let me know - though I make no promises, especially if your history lies in Ireland. That is notoriously difficult for genealogists, as most civil records have been destroyed in conflicts, we're in the hands of church authorities....

Talking of Ireland, I'm about 40% Irish by ancestry and I love music from all the Celtic countries. Here is a traditional song from Ireland popular in the gaelic-speking areas sung by group Clannad. It is from a concert in Christ Church Church of Ireland Cathedral Dublin about 10 years ago.  It certainly touches the Celt within me... It's sung in Gaelic so I've put a translation below.

If you want to watch/listen to the whole concert visit  https://youtu.be/o2vIu3nr3OI

Down by the beach, in the depths of the night
    Thíos cois na trá domh, in ndoimhneacht na h-oíche
The big world asleep, I'm alone
    An saol mhor ina gcodhladh, 's mise liom féin
The seabirds are calling sadly
    Na h-éanacha mara ag scairtigh go léanmhar
Like poor souls in pain
    Cosúil le h-anamnacha bochta i bpéin
 
Full moon and full tide
    Ionlán gealaí 's iomlán rabharta
Joy and silence, and beauty in the world
    Aoibhneas 's ciúineas, 's áilleacht sa domhain
The murmur of the sea echoing in my ears
    Crónán na fairrige ag dul siar ar mo chluasa
The soft music of the water flowing in the river
    Bog-cheol an uisce ag sileadh sam abhainn
 
Inside the inlets is an old blessed graveyard
    Istigh ar h-inseáin tá sean-reilig bheannaithe
The place where saints lived in ancient times
    An áit inar mhaireadh naoimh sam aimsir fadó
There are people inside spending time gayly
    Tá daoine istigh ann ag chaith seal do h-aerach
They will no longer walk across the shore
    Ní shiúlfaidh siad thar fán chladaigh níos mó
 
Loneliness struck my mind as I looked at the cemetery
    Bhuail uaigneas m'intinn 's mé ag amharc ar an reilig
I'm thinking of people inside lying there
    'S mé ag meadhradh ar dhaoine istigh ann ina luí
Young men and women, old people and children
    Fir a's mná óga, seandaoine 's páistí
The people of my people and the friends of my heart
    Muintir mo mhuintir 's cairde mo chroí
 
No cocks are crowing and the stars are fading
    Tá no coiligh ag glaoch 's na réalta ag bánú
The moon is setting and it 's not long
    Tá an gealach ina luí 's ní fada go lá
Goodbye now blessed old graveyard
    Slán agat anois a shean-reilig bheannaithe
And the people who walked with me down by the beach
    'S na daoine a shiúlfadh liom síos cois na trá

No comments:

Post a Comment