Wednesday 25 July 2012

Summer praying

One minute we're in the wettest April to June, the next it's scorching. Beautiful weather the last few days, and it always seems to lift people's spirits. Well, not quite everybody's, as the proposed changes of Mass times upset some folks. I am very sory about that, and just try to do my best to explain the realities and the decisions.
Just watched the final of "Superstar", where I have been so impressed by the standard. I'm feeling a bit smug as my early prediction, Ben, won the contest this evening.
Meanwhile, something to ponder - how is the new translation of the Missal doing? As I have said here before, I have had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I fully agree that some of the previous translation was bland and even emptied of most of its meaning. Now, however, I have really had to struggle to give sense to some of the recent prayers of the Mass, such as this, the Collect for the Fifteenth Sunday.
O God, who show the light of your truth
to those who go astray,
so that they may return to the right path,
give all who for the faith they profess
are accounted Christians
the grace to reject whatever is contrary to the name of Christ
and to strive after all that does it honour.
The grammar here is quite complex, even to read to yourself, and so even harder to convey intelligently with a congregation. I suppose we can take consolation from the little boy who, when his prayers were criticised by his listening mother, reminded her that he wasn't talking to her!
A priest from Bangla Desh, Fr Suzon Rosario is joining us this summer, and I'm looking forward to meeting him this Friday. Then.... Monday - and I'm off for a fortnight's holiday, my first nights away since Christmas week. Yesss...

No comments:

Post a Comment