Monday 23 November 2020

Van Gogh finds out

And now... a little scene from 'Doctor Who'.  I can still remember watching the first episodes when I was in St Peter's Junior School.  It quickly became essential viewing among the lads especially. I watched it off and on over the years, sometimes more off than on!  I did like David Tennant's portrayal  (number 10), but didn't particularly pay much attention to Matt Smith (11), who followed him. 

However, I remember seeing in the paper that in one episode Matt Smith was to meet Vincent van Gogh in the nineteenth century, so I decided to watch, and was genuinely touched by a scene when the Doctor brings Van Gogh into the present day via the Tardis. As you probably know, van Gogh struggled to sell a single painting in his lifetime. "He was considered a madman and a failure", as Wikipedia reminds us.   What torment must have led to his suicide at age 37.  So the Doctor takes him to the Musee d'Orsay in Paris, to visit the van Gogh exhibition there And that's the scene in this little 4 minute sequence that I recently came across after 10 years or so. I can do without the music, but I think it hits the spot. Enjoy. 

ps watch out for the little sequence filmed, I think, on the steps inside our Museum in town.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment