Sunday 4 October 2009

Falling for the Fall

Well autumn really is making its way in now, as the trees start to turn. I suppose New England is the most famous place for watching the Fall and the spectacular colours (or should that be colors?) that can be seen at this time of year. However, these wonderful scenes also spread into Canada, including around the capital Ottawa. This is where I spent two years back in the 80s studying Canon Law at St Paul University. It was on my very first weekend there that some second year students took a few of us up into the Gatineau Park on the outskirts of the city. I will never forget the sight of hundreds of maple trees lining the roads and lakes and the magnificent display of colour. I had been thinking that perhaps this was exaggerated in photos that we've all seen, but no, the reality was even better. I discovered that this is a speciality of maple trees. Unlike other trees which tend to turn colour together, each maple tree has its own speed, and this is what gives the beautiful variety in shades. So, don't forget to stop and look and enjoy - the wonders of creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment