Sunday 12 February 2012

Music and life

Goodness, a week has gone by since I last posted...
Yesterday was the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. As regulars will know, I am a  big fan of pilgrimages, and they don't come any bigger than Lourdes! Strangely, I haven't been there for quite a few years. Our September Pilgrimage doesn't go to Lourdes as there are so many other ways of getting there. But if anyone out there hasn't been - go as soon as possible, to this special place, to the Blessed Sacrament Procession, the baths, the Way of the Cross, the torchlight procession - and to the Grotto, that centre of peace and prayer.
Tuesday saw Archbishop George Stack meeting with us priests from the city of Cardiff, and he shared with us some very interesting ideas and plans.We shall see...
This morning I heard about the death of Whitney Houston, poor lady, with such a beautiful voice, best known for "I Will Always Love You". Crack cocaine is a real scourge. I've got one of her CDs, that I'll play later I think.
To end on a happier note - a brilliant music-and-supper evening last night here at St Brigid's, organised by our excellent Social Group. The courses of a three course meal alternated with performances by professional singer and entertainer Jeff Hooper. Well, I'm afraid I hadn't heard of him, but what a pleasant surprise. Slotted somewhere between Frank Sinatra and Matt Monro, he kept us entertained with his fine voice and good patter, and soon had the audience on his side. Originally from Llantrisant, he has sung with all the local greats, Shirley B, Tom J etc, and has his own Jeff Cooper Swing Easy Big Band. Great evening, Fr M approves. Catch Jeff's website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment