Wednesday 6 May 2020

Of birds and children

There's quite a lot of talk of people "rediscovering" some of the simple or everyday things in life during this corona time. However, I do actually think it's true.

For example, because of not having my morning routine laid down because of the regularity of 9.30 Mass, and also because of the morning problems with arthritis in the hip, I have slowed down the whole morning routine. Part of that is opening the bedroom window when possible while I do Morning Prayer sat on my bed before going down for breakfast. And of course it means I can hear the birds singing in the trees which we are lucky to have all around us.  Now unlike my brother and sister I'm not exactly familiar with all the songs, but I do know the blackbird. Sometimes I just sit there quietly and listen. It's as if this simple and beautiful song of a creature somehow cuts through all the news and anxiety which are about us. Wonderful.

Then the other area where I'm being refreshed is the children. Some of the kids in our wonderful parish school, Christ the King, are being encouraged to write poems or do drawings for people other than their families, such as Fr Andy and me. So we have been getting lovely letters, rainbows, jokes etc galore.  Fantastic. 
So there you are - the birds of the air and the children of our parish.  Two sources of life and inspiration. Thank God for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment