Saturday 18 July 2009

Sheep and shepherds

I was up in Brecon today for a few hours to celebrate a wedding in the Catholic Church there. St Michael's is one of the oldest in Wales, and has recusant roots. The priest was gladly telling me that they have received the go-ahead to do some restoration work on the church which dates back to the 1840's.
Coming through the Beacons, which I always enjoy, I noticed the sheep scattered all over the hillsides. It took my mind straight to this Sunday's readings, all about shepherds and sheep. I'm sure our Welsh sheep are secure in knowing their shepherds (and their dogs!), but it would be awful to be a poor old sheep and be really scattered, without any shepherd at all, in a country where you would depend on him for the next patch of green field and fresh water...

No comments:

Post a Comment