Saturday 20 June 2020

A Blessing at Paray part 2

Further to my last post, I have decided to share my experience at Paray last September as part of my homily tomorow. This year every Sunday except tomorrow in June is a Feast day. So I thought I'd better get in something about the Sacred Heart before the month disappears. I'm going to build on what Fr Andy said at Mass on the Feast on Friday, and make it personal. 

Obviously as a priest and therefore preacher I am interested in how homilies "work". I think a common problem is that the content can be really good but somehow doesn't "land" in the heart - and therefore life - of the listener.  One way to help improve this is for the preacher to share something from experience. This is what we call witness, and Pope St Paul said that what we want is teachers who are witneeses or rather, witnesses who are teachers.

I'm thinking also of hosting a "virtual coffee" after the Mass, now that I know how to host on Zoom.  If I manage to get it organised I will give the details at the end of Mass.

 
Meanwhile, another picture from Paray-le-Monial, site of St Margert Mary's visions of the Sacred Heart. There was already a large church there, an offshoot of the nearby huge Abbey of Cluny and built in that style.  When the devotion to the Sacred Heart spread, the great church was rededicated to the Sacred Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment