Tuesday 30 June 2020

To listen and to be heard

Yesterday I led two funeral services at the Crematorium "back to back", one after the other at 2.15 and 3 o'clock. Both were men well known to me from the parishes here. In particular, both were men that I had spent long times listening to, and therefore getting to know. It was gratifying to hear from those closest to both that they felt I had caught their essence, the hearts of who they were, especially as in both cases what was going on underneath was not always obvious on the surface.

What a privilege for us priests - and others of course - to have this possibility. To listen and to be listened to. We all need it so much, and, I believe, as much now as ever. A lot of communication going on, especially electronic, but how much real listening?  I hope all of us have those who listen to us, and those who are gifted as good listeners really use that precious gift.

As many will know I love my music - music of all sorts. However, when I was away in seminary in the midseventies I got a bit out of touch with the pop scene. Amazing, then, that I have just discovered "Rumours" the landmark album by Fleetwood Mac from 1977. I was aware that it was a huge hit and has remained on many lists as one of the all-time greats, but I just never gave it a listen

Well now I have, and down loaded the whole album. I love it. Tough and beautiful, rough and smooth - it's real and enriching. But what a  surprise to find that "Songbird" was written for this album. I knew the famous and beautiful version of Eva Cassidy and others but had no clue it was a Fleetwood Mac song, written by Christine McVie one of the members. I'm thinking I even prefer it to the Cassidy version as it has a slightly more gritty sound, as does the whole album, recorded at a difficult time in the lives of the members.

Anyway, here it is... so just listen to Christine McVie and a piano recorded in a concert hall in 1977... 

No comments:

Post a Comment