Thursday 18 June 2020

A Blessing at Paray


Tomorrow is the feast of the Sacred Heart, and Day of Prayer for Priests. My mind always goes to Paray-le-Monial in Burgundy, where St Margaret Mary experienced her visions in 1673-1675.
After a  26 year gap our September Pilgrimage stopped at Paray last year and we celebrated Mass at the Chapel of Apparitions (above). A strange thing happened as we were leaving... a little grace I would say.   By now my arthritis was making itself felt quite strongly, and I was feeling a bit down, trying to enjoy the pilgrimage and enable the folks to do likewise. By the end of Mass I was a bit achy and wanting to get some lunch with some of the group. As I left the sanctuary, shoulder bag in place, the sister sacristan called me back . She wanted to give me a prayer card (below) that she said they give to priests. Luckily I understand French, and there, where the Sacred Heart, sign of God's love, was shown forth, as I got to the last phrase I shed a tear as I was reminded what it's all about - "qui vous aime chacun" - who loves you each one. It was for me the blessing of the pilgrimage.



 For non-French speakers:
"To you, priests, the chosen of the Lord, 
who have come for a short while or for longer to rest on the heart of Jesus:
Be thanked for the exercise of your beautiful Ministry. 
Know that the Religious Communities, Sanctuaries and Parishioners of Paray 
will continue to take you in prayer to the Heart of Jesus, 
who loves you each one."

1 comment: