Tuesday 31 March 2020

Me and St Peter

A quiet day today, not so many phone calls, preparing for three forthcoming funerals, helping families cope with no Mass possible... So a more reflective post this evening, especially in the light of tomorrow being the anniversary of my ordination.
Yes, 42 years since I was ordained. Strangely, the little altar I use when celebrating here in St Brigid's since my arthritis took over is exactly on the spot where I knelt before Archbishop Murphy on that Saturday in 1978. Little did I realise I would be parish priest here, even less that I would be celebrating on that spot, and least of all that the people are not allowed to join me here in 2020.
St John Henry Newman and many others have pointed out that we only really understand what the Lord is doing when we look back from the future.  If that's the case, I can't wait to find out what this period is all about!
Anyway, this picture is one of my favourites of myself, if that's not too self-centred. It was taken obviously in St Peter's Square, but why is it so deserted? It's because it was early in the morning, about 6.30am and I was on the way with some friends to celebrate Mass at the believed tomb of St Peter, underneath the Pope's altar underneath the dome. Masses there had to finish by 9am and we were given 7 o'clock as our slot. This was a matter of just a few weeks after ordination.  I like the pic because I look very happy, optimistic, at peace and - so young! This was one of Mum's favourite pictures of me too...
I'm glad to say that I am still happy, still optimistic and on the whole at peace. Maybe not quite so young now - or slim. There I am, on my way to celebrate the Eucharist close to the mortal remains of Peter who over the years has become one of my very best friends, in the Scriptures and through my five visits to his land , the Holy land.  There's a lot in that picture about me and my priesthood. Amen. Deo Gratias.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary for tomorrow Canon Matthew,

    Ad multos annos.

    May your ministry continue to be as blessed and as fruitful as it has been for the last 42 years,

    ReplyDelete