Wednesday 1 April 2020

Deo Gratias

Deo Gratias! Today, as I mentioned yesterday, is the 42nd anniversary of my ordination on 1st April 1978 here at St Brigid's.  So I have just celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving using the prayers from a Mass for the Anniversary of the Priest's Ordination. 
This is the Collect, or Opening Prayer:

Holy Father, who, by no merit of my own, chose me
for communion with the eternal priesthood of your Christ,
grant that I may be an ardent yet gentle preacher of the Gospel
and a faithful steward of your mysteries.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.

During the Mass I tried to call to mind all those many, many people who have played a significant part in my journey to and through the priesthood.  Many have gone to their reward, many are still journeying here. For them all - you all - I give thanks, and repeat the Psalm response we used at my ordination Mass and on my ordination card: "I will sing for ever of your love, O Lord".
Here's a song of thanksgiving that became very popular at our prayer group here.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment