Tuesday 23 June 2009

Sunday - part two

Sunday was a busy one, even more than usual. We had 3 lots of Baptisms, two at St B and one at C the K. I did the one at Christ the King, and it was great to see a pretty full church, and lots of people who actually knew what a Baptism was! I will put on here sometime a few scary stories about Baptisms I've encountered...
Then in the afternoon we had something special - Sung Vespers and Benediction. This was a joint venture between ourselves and St Edward's Church in Wales in Blenheim Road, where one of our parishioners sings in the choir on Sunday evenings. We'd been planning it for quite a while, but it was worth waiting for. The 50-60 who were there had a treat, and the rest of you missed something out of the ordinary! Yours truly was celebrant and therefore had some sung parts to do, especially the initial Latin "Deus in adjutorium meum intende" (O God come to our aid), which I did at full volume, as I did the Collect prayer for Benediction later. The combined singers gave excellent accounts of, among other things, a Thomas Tallis "Magnificat" and a Palestrina setting of "Tantum Ergo." I was wafted back to my years in St David's Cathedral choir in the 60s. The music was beautiful and the worship consequently deep. I couldn't find any of the pieces on YouTube, so here is Andrew Johnson at Carlisle Cathedral singing a different Magnificat, by Victorian composer Charles Villiers Stanford, that we used to sing in the Cathedral. A piece for treble, choir and organ, it still gets me...

No comments:

Post a Comment