Tuesday 14 April 2020

Get a grip Matthew

It's just as well that Bangor, Mash and Freddie live in our dining-room, as they were spared from learning some new words over the last 24 hours. Yesterday evening when I got up from my desk and took off the glasses I wear for the computer, to pick up my main ones.  I couldn't see where tehy were, then suddenly there was a crunch - I'd stepped on them as they had somehow fallen on the floor. These are my new glasses (hence the expletive) bought last September. Luckily the lenses etc were intact, just the left arm bent a bit.so they are wearable, and I'm sure the nice people at Specsavers will get 'em back into shape. Sometime.

So this morning I staggered as usual into my bathroom for my ablutions. As I went to remove my razor from its overnight home in a glass, the aforementioned glass decided to slide off its place and crash into the basin. Another expletive.  Some pieces broke off but again, luckily, the whole thing didn't disintegrate all over the place as I feared. What else is going to break, I wondered, is it the end of the world?


And then I heard on my radio, which had been on throughout this little drama, about some real drama, as people spoke about the effect of this virus on their families.
So - shut up Matthew, eh, about your little bent glasses or your cheap smashed glass. Compared with what's going on in our world, they're tiny, tiny probs. Get a grip. So I smiled at myself, sat on my bed as I do every morning and prayed the Morning Prayer of the Church, remembering all those whose brokenness is infinitely greater.  Lord, graciously hear us.

No comments:

Post a Comment