Monday 13 April 2020

Wednesday words


I've spent some time today writing the script for "Wednesday Word". This is the short item I do several times a year for BBC Radio Wales. I've been doing it for years now, so I sort of know the audience, and what the BBC are looking for, but the schedule is very short. The producer phones on Monday morning to agree a topic. You write it that day, email it in on Monday evening or Tuesday morning, they come back with comments during the day, and you go into Llandaff (above) to do the broadcast live on Wednesday afternoon. I was hoping to be going to the new BBC headquarters by Cardiff Central Station this time, but of course in the present circumstances, everything is being done from people's homes. So Ill be delivering the talk down the phone line.
Then there's the question of a topic. It has to be something relevant and that everyone can relate to. The news is dominated at the moment naturally by corona, and the previous three speakers have all reflected this. So it's getting a bit hard to find anything new to say. However, with the help of Lisa, the producer, I hope I've got something for people to ponder.  It goes out at about 3.45 on Radio Wales. Bangor, Mash and Freddie wil be listening. Wish me luck!
Here's me doing  a previous broadcast...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment