Thursday 9 April 2020

Dirty feet?

I expect many of us have settled into a routine during this strange period. Well Bangor, Mash and Freddie are wondering why suddenly our routine here changed today. Instead of Fr Andy celebrating in the morning and me in the evening, we concelebrated the Mass of the Lord's Supper at 7 o'clock. So I'll have to explain Holy Week and the Triduum to the three of them tomorrow!

Our Mass was simple but beautiful, in the sacristy here at St Brigid's. Andy had brought some plants and candles from the church and house to help the celebration. We thought about everyone at the beginning and the intercessions in place of washing parishioners' feet. I shared some thoughts about the need for us, especially priests, to allow Jesus to wash our feet, otherwise "you can have nothing to do with me".

Then we had an hour Watching, and during that, at 8 o'clock, we joined in the community's clapping by ringing our sanctuary bells outside the front door. Near the end of our hour, as Archbishop Stack suggested, we renewed our priestly promises from ordination, which we normally do at the Cathedral Chrism Mass.  Here are the two central parts, which always touch me deeply, and hich, with God's help I try to keep.

I resolve to be a faithful steward of the divine mysteries in the Holy Eucharist and other liturgical rites, and to discharge faithfully the sacred office of teaching, following Christ the head and Shepherd, not seeking any gain, but moved only by zeal for souls.
Humbly, I ask for an outpouring of the gifts and graces I need for my priestly service, so that, supported by the prayers of the people entrusted to my care, and working with my brother priests, I might remain faithful in my ministry to Christ the High Priest, and lead your people in the way of salvation.



 If you would like to spend  a short time in quiet prayer, try this Taize song "Stay Here. and Keep Watch With Me"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your reflections Canon Matthew,

    Given the fact that St. Teilo's had a Polish Mass of the Lord's Supper straight after the English language Mass I did some online Church hopping for Watching.

    Thankfully St. Chad's Cathedral in Birmingham and the Cardiff Oratory at St. Alban's both had the opportunity to watch and pray via Live Streaming last night - a little unreal to pray to an image of the Lord on a screen, rather than being really present with him, but better than not having the time of watching at all.

    ReplyDelete